In our last blog post, we looked at reasons why your business needs Local SEO, and why it is important for online business success in future. Ameriam team has put together some insights to help you in understanding SEO and why it is important for business growth and success online.
The deliberate practice of improving a website’s ranking in search results online is called Search Engine Optimisation; SEO. It is achieved by enhancing your website’s content to include catchphrases and catchwords or keywords that users will likely enter into a search engine when trying to locate a site. The coding, navigability, structure and naming protocols employed are key factors to consider when optimising a site to rank higher whenever a search is lodged.
However, it is important to know that SEO success does not come overnight. We would like you to know the truth- it will take at least 3 months for you to truly start reaping the benefits of an SEO campaign. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to you.
S.E.O. versus S.E.M. (Search Engine Marketing)
You may have heard of search engine marketing. Is S.E.M. the same thing as S.E.O.?
S.E.O. has severally been mistaken for S.E.M., which is a wider term referring to the use of search engines to advertise websites and grow traffic to them. SEM includes: paid listings (pay per click), search engine optimisation and many other search engine associated services and functions that will increase a websites visibility and traffic.
Paid listings entail paying a fee to host website for every click received on an item on a search engine result. Pay-Per-Click is a sponsored text ads that appear below or on the right side of the search query lodged on search engines as Bing, Yahoo and Google.
SEO however, involves website optimisation and optimising linked sites. SEO is a subdivision of SEM.
Why is SEO so important for business success online?
In the absence of optimisation, potential customers or visitors to your site will not find you since many other sites will pop up first, when a search is lodged. For this reason, SEO is very important to enable a higher ranking for your website anytime a search is lodged.
Search engines work by assessing a website’s content; sites with the most pertinent content, of what is searched, will rank higher in searches. Content relevance is achieved by regularly updating site content, adding links to your site -as linked sites will be placed higher in a search, and improving the number of times a keyword appears on the site. Website architecture is also assessed by search engines; sites with flowing and easy to read content tend to be easier to find. A well designed site will be aesthetically attractive and be gratifying to use.
Benefits of SEO
- Effortless access to the site by searchers, because of effortless indexing by search engines.
- More awareness and exposure of your products and or services to potential customers and visitors to your site.
- Long term costs are less than other marketing tools and you can be sure of a high R.O.I. (Return on Investment).
- Your site will be more visible if it is well optimised.
- Your or your company are assured of 24/7 marketing- you can be found day or night.
- According to surveys, searchers trust results from SEO more than SEM!
What you need to consider
- The benefits are not instant- it takes 3 to 6 months before you notice positive outcome.
- It takes a bit of time and patience to achieve, which makes short term costs high.
- Other factors beyond your control affect search results, thus a high ranking will not be static or guaranteed. A change in a search engine’s algorithm can easily change your ranking.
- Your website must be regularly maintained and improved to keep a high ranking.
- Customer targeting by their location is not easy with SEO.
- To optimise your site, means making changes to the original or current website content, design, and structure.
- Website content is more about keywords than the product or service offered.
- This is an area with strong competition where some companies have employed unethical methods to achieve a high ranking. Note that if your site is found to be unethical, its ranking is cancelled and it may be very difficult to reassume.
SEO needs patience- it takes time and is a high investment in the beginning however, in the long run you will achieve a higher ranking for your website. Once a high ranking is achieved and is maintained, you will begin noticing an increase in visits to your website and also leads which may be converted to sales.
Therefore, combining SEO and other SEM tools is a good idea as you optimise your site. Exploit the short term benefits of SEM to figure out which are the keywords and phrases that generate high leads and sales. You will then employ these catchwords and catchphrases in your SEO for better and long term gains.
Understanding SEO and why it is important for business growth and success online, is our daily business at Ameriam. Visit us at www.ameriam.com.au for more insights.